Fried Fish Tempura sautéed in a spicy garlicky butter sauce!! Need I say more? 🙂
VIDEO: You can find a link to a video on how I made this dish on the bottom of this page.
Swai Fish 5 individually packed (or any clean white fish you like)
Butter 3-4 tablespoons
Garlic 6 cloves chopped
Sea Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Ground Black Pepper 1/2 teaspoon
Jalapeños 1 or more roughly chopped or big slices (as many as you want depending on your taste)
Green Onions 2-3 stalks chopped (1/2 for frying and save 1/2 for garnish)
Tempura Flour Thai Gogi Brand or any brand that you like
Canola Oil a few cups for deep frying
Baking Pan lined with paper towels or any big plate lined with paper towels
Lets Get Started!
1. Cut up the fish into about 2 inch cubes, place them in a bowl, cover it up at put them in the refrigerator until you are ready to fry them.
2. Get the rest of the ingredients prepped and ready
3. In a big bowl start with a cup or 2 of tempura flour and add a pinch of salt, then add some cold water a little at a time, (you don’t want to add too much water because you don’t want a watery batter) stir it up together until you get a nice thick and creamy consistency. If you added to much water don’t worry you just need to add more tempura flour to thicken the batter up, and if the batter is to thick then add a little bit more cold water. Once you get the right consistency you can put the batter in the refrigerator until the oil is ready. Tempura batter works best when it is cold.
4. Get a pot of oil ready on medium heat to fry up the fish. To test if the oil is ready, you can drop a little bit of batter in the oil and when it sizzles right away then you are ready to deep fry the fish.
5. Once the oil is ready, take out the fish and the tempura batter from the refrigerator. Dip a few fish fillets at a time into the batter and carefully place it in the oil. Deep fry the fish until they turn a nice golden brown. Once they are golden brown, take it out and place them on the paper towel to soak up any oil. (note: if you have left over batter you can always drop some into the oil and deep fry them to get these crunchy batter pieces, you can snack on them or use it as garnish)
6. While you let the fish rest on the paper towel, get a pan with 1-2 teaspoons of oil on medium heat and fry up the butter, garlic, sea salt, ground black pepper, 1/2 green onions, and jalapeños until the garlic is a nice golden color. Lower the heat down and add in the fried fish, stir it all up making sure you cover every fish with the yummy buttery sauce.
7. Plate them up and sprinkle the rest of the chopped green onions, and crunchy tempura pieces on top.
I hope you enjoy it!
You can watch my video on YouTube here How To Make Tempura Fish Sautéed in Spicy Garlic Butter Sauce.