You will find this dish with chicken but I wanted to go a different route and make it a seafood dish. You can be creative and make it your own by adding any kind of seafood that you love. Here I have added salmon, squid, mussels, and shrimp. This dish should be spicy, sour and salty, but you can adjust the seasoning to your liking. You can make it more or less sour, salty, or spicy. Enjoy this dish with a bowl of jasmine rice or some noodles! I have it with glass noodles also known as mung bean or cellophane noodles and it was really good. I have enjoyed this dish with jasmine rice and an omelette seasoned lightly with fish sauce and fried in a pan. I hope you like it!
Note: You can also make this with chicken and mushrooms using this same broth recipe.
VIDEO: You can find a link to a video on how I made this dish on the bottom of this page.
Ingredients for Broth:
Chicken Broth, Vegetable Broth, or Seafood Broth (2) 32 oz
Water 3 cups
Kaffir Lime Leaves 4-5 leaves torn in half (to bring out the aroma)
Galangal 4-5 thin slices (Note: you can buy fresh or dried)
Lemongrass 1 stalk bruised (to bring out the aroma) cut into 4-5 pieces
Fresh Lime Juice 1/4 cup
Fish Sauce 1 cup
Thai Chile Peppers 5+ (depend on spiciness of the chiles and your taste)
Coconut Milk (1) 14 oz can (you can add more if you want it creamier)
Other Ingredients: (Note: you can add more or less to your liking & add also add any seafood you like)
Salmon 2 individual vacuum sealed packets cut 2 inch squares
Mussels 20 or more (precooked or uncooked) (adding time will be different)
Squid I just added a cup or so
Shrimp 20 or more to your liking
Oyster Mushrooms (or any mushrooms of your choice) 3 cups
Thai Chile Peppers thinly sliced
Mainly with Rice
But some eat it with Rice Noodles
1. Add all the broth ingredients into a big pot and bring it to a boil.
(uncooked mussels skip step 3)
(precooked mussels go to step 3 & 5)
2. Once the broth comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium and add in the salmon and if you are using uncooked mussels add them here also.
3. Once the broth comes to a boil, lower to medium heat and add the salmon and wait about 5 minutes to add in the squid, shrimp, precooked mushrooms, and mushrooms cook for 2-3 minutes and you are done. (do a taste test and make sure the flavors are to your liking)
4. Once the uncooked mussels have opened add the shrimp, squid, and mushrooms cook for another 2-3 minutes and you are done. (do a taste test and make sure the flavors are to your liking)
5. Laddle the soup into a bowl and garnish it with chopped cilantro and thai chile peppers and a slice of lime.
You can watch my video on YouTube on how to make this dish here Thai Seafood Soup.